Tenkara-Ya Japanese Fishing Shop

Thread: Big Stream , big fish, big fly rod

Big Stream , big fish, big fly rod

I am interested in a a big river , big fish, big fly fixed-line rod for smallmouth and large trout mostly (maybe carp). I want a rod to toss large weighted flies and streamers.

I've done this with the Amago in the past - but I'm looking for something longer maybe, stiffer maybe? I don't know for sure - so that's why I'm asking for advice from anybody that's done this type of fishing.
    check out my blog CastingAround

Blog Entries
    Anthony my friend,
    You are in luck, Erik and I do a crap load of this type of fishing.

The best rod we have tested and both purchased is the Nissin 450ZX Stiff. It is a zoom rod that is 4.0m-4.5m. At full extension it is a little heavy, but tenkara style casting is no trouble. I like it in the shorter length for general fishing and just extend the rod after hook set. We have caught carp in the 15-20 pound range with these rods.

The Diawa 43MF is a very close 2nd rod of choice. The Diawa has a softer tip than the Nissin. I know that Tenkara Bum is out of stock on the 450 ZX Stiff rods. He has a shipment of the Diawa 43MF rods inbound from Japan.

Another really nice rod to consider if 20 pound carp is not on the regular menu is the Nissin 450 ZX Medium. It is like a longer, lighter Amago on steroids. It may be Erik's favorite large river big trout rod. You should contact Erik and get his feedback on that particular rod.
    I think TenkaraBum only has 1 or 2 of those in stock so if it sounds like a good rod for you, jump on it today.

Out of the dozens of rods we have tested over the past few months, those are the 3 that truly stand out.

I really like furled fluorocarbon lines for the 450ZX stiff or a 4.5/5.0 level line. The Diawa 43MF casts lighter level lines a little better because of the softer tip.

If you want to get into keriyu fishing I would get the 450ZX medium or the 43MF for big rivers and larger trout. The 450 ZX stiff may be a little overkill. I use that rod primarily for big carp. I am looking into using the 450ZX stiff for some steelhead fishing this year.

John
    Wabi sabi, man, wabi sabi.
    Don't fight it.
    Just embrace the imperfection.

John
    笑山

Thanks John - I am also thinking about trying out some fixed line steelheading....I imagine I'll get a few stares from the Lake Erie steelhead crowds though

Blog Entries
    I know that there are fixed line steelhead rods used in Japan. They are like 20' long and very spendy ($1K).

I am going to give the 450ZX a test ride for some meduim sized steel head just to see how well it works. In the end I will probably end up getting a steelhead rod just because you can never have too many rods. Right?

John
    Wabi sabi, man, wabi sabi.
    Don't fight it.
    Just embrace the imperfection.

John
    笑山

Quote Originally Posted by John Vetterli View Post
    I know that there are fixed line steelhead rods used in Japan. They are like 20' long and very spendy ($1K).

I am going to give the 450ZX a test ride for some meduim sized steel head just to see how well it works. In the end I will probably end up getting a steelhead rod just because you can never have too many rods. Right?

John
    A thousand bucks for a stealhead rod sounds like a deal compared to some of the Ayu rods that I've priced at over $4300.00. Wow, I'm guessing that Ayu fishing isn't for someone looking for and economical way to put food on the table.

jd

I really like the Nissin ZX medium stiffness for big river, big fish. It's big enough to handle some big fish, light enough to cast all day, and has enough oomf to cast into some strong winds.
    Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook, or visit us at TenkaraGuides.com

Quote Originally Posted by ERiK View Post
    I really like the Nissin ZX medium stiffness for big river, big fish. It's big enough to handle some big fish, light enough to cast all day, and has enough oomf to cast into some strong winds.
    have you fished the hard rod too?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    have you fished the hard rod too?
    I've fished three stiffnesses. The softest, medium, and stiff. The soft is like a longer zoom Iwana. The stiff is a very powerful rod that can handle 2' long carp with ease.
    Like Tenkara Guides LLC on Facebook, or visit us at TenkaraGuides.com

At a recent tying demo, a guy came and sat at my table and introduced himself. In addition to being one of my earliest customers, he is also a Spey casting instructor. We spent quite a while talking about two handed rods and two handed casting, and the upshot was that I ordered the next two longer versions of the medium rod that ERiK likes (5.4m and 6.2m) and when they arrive I'll be taking a lesson in two handed casting. I don't think it will be traditional Spey casting, as the line probably will not be long enough or heavy enough to give you the water anchor D loop, but the arm motions should be similar. For big water, big fish, big fly fishing, I think the longer rods might work. At the very least, it should be fun to try. A good sized fish will have tremendous leverage with a 6.2m rod. It could be quite a workout.