Tenkara-Ya Japanese Fishing Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TenkaraUSA Ayu Series 2

Blog Entries

TenkaraUSA Ayu Series 2

TenkaraUSA Ayu Series 2

I received a Ayu S-2 from Daniel today and I am excited to take it with me to Japan. I think it will be interesting to use a American designed Tenkara rod to catch Amago, Iwana and try for Yamame in Japan.

The handle has a nice shape, the cork is of good quality, the blank has a nice fit, finish and I will reserve comment till later on the action.

Appears to be a sweet rod indeed. Racked next to my Ito, America is well represented.

Curious, do you have one in your quiver?

Thoughts?

What lines do you use with it?

Thanks in advance.

Adam,
    I've been using a 3.5 line. I've also cast a 3 and a 4, both are fine, but I prefer the 3.5. Unfortunately no fish yet. I've been blanked twice with it on the streams in short outings. I'm blaming it on the weather. My lack of skill?? No way man....

The more I fish with it the more I like it. Again, I still wish it were lighter, but I appreciate the design goals for the rod which make it heavier. It casts a #3.5-4.5 line well. I also used it recently to cast one of John V's 18' furled fluorocarbon lines with 7 feet of tippet. It was smooth; very nice. I caught 16-18 inch rainbows and the rod did great. It never felt under gunned.

-Tom
    Tom Davis
    Teton Tenkara

Blog Entries
    I have used it quite a bit also. It fills gap for some of the types of fishing I do. It works better for me than the Ito or the Amago. I like the action better than the other 2 rods and the rod is more than capable of bringing in some of the larger fish that most people use the Amago for. The balance works better for me also.

It does cast my furled fluorocarbon lines very nicely. I like it better with my furled lines than with the level line. Just my preferences, your milage may vary.

Overall, I really like this rod. I think Daniel has come up with a great product.
    It would be nice in future generations of the Ayu to see the weight come down a little and still retain the improved strength of the rod and shift the balance point a little further back toward the grip. Those are the only tweaks I would throw in for future models. The Ayu II is a very well done refinement of Tenkara USA's classic/iconic tenkara rod.

John
    Wabi sabi, man, wabi sabi.
    Don't fight it.
    Just embrace the imperfection.

John
    笑山

John,
    Have you had the Ayu II out in the wind?
    And if so, I assume with the #4.5 LL?
    And it performed ....

Thanks.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GregM View Post
    John,
    Have you had the Ayu II out in the wind?
    And if so, I assume with the #4.5 LL?
    And it performed ....

Thanks.

Greg
    I have had it out in light wind/breeze with one of my furled lines and it worked just fine. I really only use level line for shorter lines 12-13 ft. or if the rod is designed specifically for level lines like the Shimano ZL. The lines I use most often is either a 13 ft level line or a 16 ft fluorocarbon furled line. If it is windy I use the fluorocarbon furled lines exclusively.

I have been thinking about making a tapered tippet for improved wind performance. A 2 ft base section of 3 or 4X and a 2 ft 5 or 6X tip. Haven't built one to test yet so I don't really know if it will make a difference or not.

John
    Don't fight it.

John
    笑山

Blog Entries
    Initial impressions, -> nice all around Tenkara rod.

I will put some time in with it.

I need a new teaching tool, at this time, I see this rod in that role.

Blog Entries
    John, can I purchase a braided tapered line from you, suitable for a first time caster for this rod?

Im a level liner, I have some braids from Eddie but I want one made for this rod to turn my friends onto Tenkara.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    John, can I purchase a braided tapered line from you, suitable for a first time caster for this rod?

Im a level liner, I have some braids from Eddie but I want one made for this rod to turn my friends onto Tenkara.
    Sure, I would recommend a 16' line with the hybrid hi-viz tip. That line loads the rod very nicely and slows down the tempo of the cast just enough that it makes learning a little easier. Another nice thing to put on it is a red Amnesia strike indicator. I use that with new anglers to teach how to keep the line off of the water and how to keep track of where their line and fly are in the water. I tell them to keep the red piece vertical and just barely touching the water. If the red thingy is flat, the fly is sitting on the bottom. If the red thingy starts moving and boucing, set the hook! This little addition works wonders for teaching when to set the hook.

The 16' line will be $30.00.

I make 12' lines but people have a hard time with those. The line transmits so much energy on the cast that for a lot of people, the line recoils back when the rod unloads on the forward cast. That's one of the reasons I recommend the 16' line. It is just is easier to control and slows everything down.

These lines really maximize all the potential energy that your rod can deliver. That is why they work so well in windy conditions. They have slightly more mass than mono lines with a smaller diameter so they punch out there with gusto. They are also light enough that they are very easy to keep up off the water. They are not as limp and lifeless as the kevlar lines. I think the 16' is the best all around line in the series of lines that I make. If you are anal about things and actually measure my lines, you will find that they may be slightly longer or slightly shorter than the length advertised. That is the line being balanced and tuned to a particular rod that the customer specified.

I build lines to order and test cast each one with the rod you specify, if I have it, before they go out the door. If you ever damage one or nick/cut one of the segments, I can repair them for a very nominal $5.00 per segment + $3.00 shipping. Just send me the damaged line and I try my best to turn them around in 24 hours after receiving it.

If anyone else wants one, just email me & we will discuss what rod/rods you use, the types of waters you fish and the types of fish you are after. Each line is built just for you and matched to the kind of fishing you do. That's the difference between mass produced products and something created by a craftsman. One size fits all or one size that fits you.

John
    Don't fight it.

John
    笑山

Blog Entries
    Let's do it.

Just as you wrote.

PayPal? Send a request to: hangwind(at)cox.net and soon as I get it, done.

I will use this rod/line to teach my friends new to Tenkara.

...and thanks.