Tenkara-Ya Japanese Fishing Shop
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shimotsuke Ten

This report has only piqued my interest of the rod even more. Sounds like you really love your new rod craigthor. To say that you would want to have in all of your trips in the future is really something special. Craigthor you may now kiss your new bride as you walk hand and handle into the sunset. Have fun and maybe give us another update down the road.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by jd_smith View Post
    This report has only piqued my interest of the rod even more. Sounds like you really love your new rod craigthor. To say that you would want to have in all of your trips in the future is really something special. Craigthor you may now kiss your new bride as you walk hand and handle into the sunset. Have fun and maybe give us another update down the road.

JD
    LOL and definitely lots of future updates and trip reports. Though if the wife reads this I may need to crash on the couch for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GregM View Post
    How about a penny weight?
    You can contact Chris for it but honestly it won't tell you anything about how this rod fishes IMO.

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Chris says "soft/very soft" which takes it out of the running for me.

Not sure I would take this rod out of the running it isn't necessarily 'soft' per say though this rod doesn't fish with swift fast strokes that you would expect after seeing pictures of the penny test. Let me look around and see if I even have some pennies laying around just rook my change to the bank yesterday to put into savings for more toys. If you ever make it to Dubuque, IA I would be more then happy to let you give it a test.

Craig

Craig,
    I'm in Colorado, so Dubuque isn't really on my way anywhere. Thanks for the offer though.

Don't worry about doing the Common Cents penny weight.
    I've communicated with and followed Chris enough to know what he means by "soft".

Greg

How about a penny weight?
    The Ten is a 20 and the Mai is a 17.

To put that in perspective compared to rods that people here might be more familiar with, the
    Ayu - 13.5
    Ito - 15 (15 at full extension)
    Nissin ProSquare 360 7:3 - 18
    11' Iwana - 21
    Sakura Seki Rei 33 - 21
    Shimano Mainstream ZE 22 (21 at full extension)
    12' Iwana - 23

The soft/very soft comment was probably intended for the Mai rather than the Ten. Both are full flex rods. The Mai is quite a bit softer.

Craig is right that the penny weight won't tell you exactly how a rod feels, but it will at least give you more information than you had before. The rod feels more like the Nissin than any of the other rods. Nissin makes at least some of the Shimotsuke rods, and it might make the Ten but I don't know.

Chris,
    Thanks for the info and the comparison numbers.
    I agree that penny weight tells only part of the story. For me, though, it is a primary differentiator.

Hopefully some day we will develop a common vocabulary that lets us talk easily about rod characteristics.
    Until then, I'll take what I can get.

Greg

Blog Entries
    Chris,
    Thanks for the info and the comparison numbers.
    I agree that penny weight tells only part of the story. For me, though, it is a primary differentiator.

Hopefully some day we will develop a common vocabulary that lets us talk easily about rod characteristics.
    Until then, I'll take what I can get.

Greg
    I agree.

Perhaps something more descriptive/informative like:
    Flex Rating:
    1. Tip Flex (8:2-7:2)
    2. Mid Flex (6:4)
    3. Full flex (5:5)
    That describes the flex characteristics of a rod

Action:
    1. Fast Action
    2. Medium Action
    3. Slow Action
    That describes how the rod behaves

Backbone (Tone):
    1. Hard
    2. Mid
    3. Soft
    This is how strong the rod is.

Lets look at a few different rods and put this index to work.
    Tenkara USA Ito: Mid-Flex (6:4), Slow Action, Mid-Tone rod.
    Shimano ZL : Tip-Flex, Fast Action, Mid-Tone rod.
    Tenkara USA Amago: Mid-Flex (6:4), Medium Action, Hard-Tone rod.
    Sakura Kongo: Tip-Flex (7:2) Fast Action, Mid-Tone rod.
    Tenkara USA 12' Iwana: Mid-Flex (6:4), Meduim Action, Mid-Tone rod.
    Sakura Seki Rei 3.6: Mid-Flex (6:4ish), Slow Action, Mid-Tone rod.

The rods listed above are how I would classify them. There is still some subjectivity but hopefully it is a more balanced look at them.

You can apply something like this to every tenkara rod and come up with a better way of evaluating rod characteristics.
    After testing a truckload of various rods from Tenkara Bum and other manufacturers, it is apparent that simply calling a rod 6:4 does not really tell you anything about it. Some have flirted with things like a soft 6:4 vs a stiff 6:4, that description does not tell me squat, it is totally subjective.

There are many rods that are 5:5-6:4 rods that have much more backbone than 7:2-8:2 rods. It seems that many people confuse a Tip-Flex rod as having more backbone. That is simply not the case. Don't confuse where a rod flexes with how strong the rod is, they are two different things. For example, The Tenkara USA Ayu (5:5) Full-Flex, Slow Action, Hard-Tone easily lands fish in the 18-20 inch range. The Nissin Airstage 4.10 is a 5:5, Full-Flex, Medium Action, Soft Tone maxes out on fish any larger than about 16 inches. Even though they are both 13 ft 5:5 rods, they are also entirely different. Many headstream rods (9-11 ft) are 7:2 rods but they are very soft tone so using them for 16+ inch fish could be a formula for disaster.

Hopefully Chris Stewart will jump in here and share his thoughts on this. He has tried a wider variety of rods than we have.

John
    Last edited by John Vetterli; 02-13-2013 at 05:43 AM.